Saturday, August 20, 2011

A Taste of Home

I know, Christmas is a long way off, but I'm already excited to be in the U.S. this year.  I've already begun to envision all the yummy things and delightful moments I will be able to experience.  Lately I've been thinking about tea quite a bit.  Kim threw me a wonderful tea and cupcake birthday party because I've been going on and on about it for so long.  There's something wonderful about sipping tea with friends and family, and somehow sipping it out of cute little china cups makes it even more pleasant.

What is is about tea time that is worth looking forward to?  Here's what I look forward to about it in Columbia:
Each morning at home, almost no matter what time I wake up, a pot of tea awaits me. Recently my parents have begun making tea in a coffee pot (obviously one that has been purged of all coffee smell and taste).  There's always a pot on along with a can of the stuff that makes it twice as enjoyable as when I make it myself: evaporated milk.  Add some sugar and the best part is still to come.

After the tea is prepared, I go and sit down on our kitchen table bench and cross my legs. There's inevitably somebody there, whether it's my parents having their morning talk or whoever else is staying at the house at the time.  This Christmas I'll miss having Sam around to ask me to play guitar with him and Lucas and Jamie looking bleary eyed from a not so rest-filled night.  If Jamie was there, I could admire her ever artful breakfast. But no matter who is there, there's always somebody there, and we drink tea together... on a bench in the kitchen, tea with evaporated milk and sugar, made in a coffee pot, begun before anyone gets up in the morning.

And that's just one thing I look forward to about going home at Christmas.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment