Wednesday, February 23, 2011

I Will Never...

I don't know about most people, but God has this way of getting me to do things I never thought I'd do and making me think it was my idea until it's too late.  Two things I said I would never do:

1) Coach: I hate coaches. I know this insults some, but, starting tomorrow, I will be in that category so nobody else can complain. 
Now this one I KNOW has to be God's work.  Why would I say I would coach soccer?  First, the extent of my soccer knowledge is based on semi-participating in a couple soccer seasons, both of which I abhorred, by the way.  I'd rather eat grass than kick a ball on it (only semi- exaggerating, too).  Second, I don't DO sports and I most decisively do NOT do coaching.  But, through some covert process, God got me here and now I'm thinking, "Ok, what does a coach do?"  Covert ideas God used to get me to coach:
     a) I want to spend more non-teaching time with students.  I want to have fun and hang out and build relationship.
     b) If I run with the girls, the time can replace my gym time on Tuesday and Thursday, leaving me with no less time after school on those days.  No loss!
     c) I get to touch grass... kind of. And breathe the fresh air more... kind of.

2) Ever since my orchestra director in middle school pulled out a picture of her two dogs and introduced them as her family, I was determined not to refer to a pet as a member of the family.  If I don't have my own family, just skip the introducing the family step.  I'm so ashamed that this slipped out of my mouth a couple times.  "Prince, come to mommy," gasp, did I just say that?  This issue has been solved, though, because we have found our beloved Prince a real home with a genuine backyard and people who will be home more than a couple hours every day.

And so, if you ever catch yourself saying "I will never," realize that you might just be telling a lie. I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment