Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Into the 21st Century

Scenario 1:
"Dearest students, today we will be beginning our non-fiction unit.  Exciting activities to come include reading your own choice of biography or autobiography (as long as the library has it), looking at print and non-print advertising, and writing...duh duh duuuuuuhhh...your own memoir.  This is one of my favorite units (along with all my other favorites) because I get to learn about your lives." 
Students groan.  Hands raise.
"But, like, what do we write about...ish?" 
"You write about you, about your life, about something you've learned from all you've been through.  You get to tell the world who you are!"
Raised hand. "But, uh, I haven't, like, really learned anything.  I'm only in middle school."
Teacher: "Exactly, and that's why...wait, what?!!!!  You haven't learned anything from life?  You live in China.  You've traveled the world. You speak three languages...and you haven't LEARNED anything?!!!" 
Teacher enters freak out mode.   

This 100% true story is brought to you by TFTFCS (Teachers for Twenty-First Century Skills).  Do I feel ready for a scenario like this in which students have to critically assess their own lives and find something they've learned?  No, it's like pulling teeth.  Teaching critical, creative thinking requires a whole lot of critical, creative thinking.

Scenario Two:
Johnny (whining): "Ms. Orner, Bobby isn't helping our group. He just sits there."
Bobby (angered): "I was, but then they said I wasn't doing it right, so I stopped."
Johnny: "Yeah, but you weren't doing it right and our group would have lost..."
Bobby: "Well, I liked mine bett....
Ms. Orner (holding hands up in pacification): "Now Johnny, did you hear what Bobby said?"
Johnny: "No."
Ms. Orner: "Bobby, did you hear what Johnny said?"
Bobby: "No."
Ms. Orner: "Arright, let's start at the beginning."

Am I ready to teach middle school students the social skills necessary to collaborate in groups and share opinions respectfully?  Only by the grace of God.

Scenario 3:
Studious Sally: "Ms. Orner, I'm trying to arrange these photos to make the letter 'M' for my advertisement.  I can't get the photos to touch so it is easy to read.  Can you help me?"
Need I say more?

How well prepared do I feel for 21st century teaching and learning? I don't know, maybe about as ready as any of the Joe Shmoe's out there.  Who ever feels ready for the future?  Probably only people who could use a little talking down.  I'm sure there's a personality label for those people.  I remember appreciating when Kris Allen won American Idol.  The station played back his first audition when they asked him if he was the next American Idol. He responded "well, maybe. I'm sure there are people out there better than me."  And he won. I, for one, really appreciate that.  Was he prepared for the future, probably not, but he won. And he did it with a realistic attitude.  I, with Kris Allen, will say, "I'm not ready, but here I come."
The great thing about teaching 6th and 7th grade is that I can assess how much my students retain from year to year.  Every year I am amazed at the difference between the two grades.  I swear there is some magical transformation that occurs during that summer after 6th grade.  Visualize with me:

Enter 6th grade classroom 4 minutes before the bell: 
Tammy, running into the classroom and sprawling all supplies on the floor, "Am I late?"
Jose, tripping over Tammy as he enters, runs to get his favorite seat and sits down.  He pulls out his eraser to play with for approximately 3 minutes and then looks up to the teacher: "Do I need anything for class?" Meanwhile, Tammy digs through her supplies to make sure she has all necessary items for the next 3 classes while Jose runs to his locker.  30 seconds later he runs back. "I can't find my locker key."  Jose searches while Tammy begins giving detailed account of all the time she spent on homework and all the reasons her assignments are late.  Bell rings.  Jose runs in and asks to go to the bathroom.

Enter 7th grade classroom 1 minutes before the bell.  
Susie: "Ms. Orner, what are we doing today?"
Luke, pulling out his homework, "where do we turn in our work, Ms. Orner?" "Don't forget we have a spelling quiz today...."

So I know, students are leaving my class changed.  Am I the magical ingredient? Not solely.  Are they ready for the 21st century?  No, but they're only in 6th (or 7th grade) and they have a year's worth of learning more than last year. 
And what are my challenges and strengths?  This is a slightly awkward question for a public post!  Dear world, I train my kids well to face the reality of the world, along with the joys and difficulties that come with it.  I help students dig deep to find their own creativity and intelligence.  Oh, and by the way, I face everyday wondering how I am going to answer each difficult question about life (and grammar [and even 6th grade math, let's be honest]).  And I pray to God for wisdom when Bobby and Johnny can't work in a group again and Studious Sally asks me about formatting and somebody used the wiki to invite a friend to a chat room.  And world, please understand, I do the best I can...one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment